[PD] dub chords in Pd

Roman Haefeli reduzent at gmail.com
Thu Oct 28 12:02:05 CEST 2010

On Thu, 2010-10-28 at 10:16 +0100, Marco Donnarumma wrote:
> Yes, check this:
>
> http://soundcloud.com/bemong/03-rhythm-sound-mango-drive
>
> well, the whole tune, specially at 3' 05"
> so those are the dub chords I'm talking about :P
> Sorry for not specifying before,

I _love_ Rhythm&Sound. His tracks are mastered in way that really
deserves the term "mastering".

There is very much in it which makes the chords sound dubby. Many
combinations of effect chains are competing with each other. I even
think that many of the different chords are actually the same sound
source passed through different fx chains.
there is stuff like:

source dry
source -> delay
source -> tape delay with frequency modulated
source -> reverb
source -> delay -> reverb
source -> delay -> phaser

I wouldn't be surprised if within some of those chains even dynamic
compressors were inserted.

I think organ-like sounds are a good start for a source, but filtered
phasor chords most certainly will do well either.

I made some tracks done with the netpd instruments/effects trying to go
into a similar techno dub oriented direction:
http://www.romanhaefeli.net/tracks/netpd/2006-03-06_50cm_schnee.mp3
http://www.romanhaefeli.net/tracks/netpd/2006-08-15_backup_blues.mp3

The chords/fx parts are mainly done  with:
instruments: oxygen
fx: rfxlib (mainly rodel and rphase), dynlib (dynamic processing
library)

The Mixer patch mx lets you create complex chains of fx, which I find is
crucial for trying those dubby sounds.

Cheers
Roman