[PD] Pd-list Digest, Vol 67, Issue 116

david medine dmedine at ucsd.edu
Sun Oct 31 18:43:43 CET 2010

  IOhannes,
I think you have hit the nail on the head. It is likely that I was
missing the 'alsa-oss' package. Pd seems to need that one. However, I
can't really be sure because I have since scrapped Fedora altogether and
installed Xubuntu (the super-stripped-down addition). Initially I got
the same problem with my Pd install. I went back and and got all the
alsa and now it works great.

All in all, I find Fedora a little bit too obscure (I am ashamed to
admit)  for my level of expertise/patience. I went through hell getting
my network settings configured correctly, which is a breeze in Ubuntu.
However, Fedora is significantly faster on my machine, which is a
serious incentive to learn how to deal with its many caveats. Also,
Fedora is very strict about refusing to deal with proprietary software,
which is definitely something to get behind.

Anyway, thank you very much, IOhannes. Perhaps when Fedora 14 comes out
(very soon, I believe), and I have a little more free time I will try
again. At that point I will probably post more about errors that I
encounter when installing Pd.
Best,
David