[PD] Musical notation object on Pd

Caio Barros caio.barros at gmail.com
Sun Nov 7 00:41:01 CET 2010

> 2010/11/5 João Pais
> do you have his contact? for some reason, brasilian universities don't have
> the contact of their teachers on their pages.

I don't know if you already see this website:
http://music.columbia.edu/~alessi/ <http://music.columbia.edu/%7Ealessi/> it
has an e-mail but is very outdated...

2010/11/6 Ed Kelly
> In fact, it's a painful process. The kind of object you are talking about
> would be much nicer - but only if it could also cope with complete rhythmic
> elements (ties, beaming, time sigs etc) for me.

I absolutely think that rhythmic elements should be added. I thought the
best would be to have an object just for pitches, another just for rhythm
and maybe one that displays both.

2010/11/5 Lorenzo Sutton <lsutton at libero.it>

I still think you could do all the CAC 'logic' in Pd and use external tools
> for the music notation part.

I could do it, no doubt about it, and I think that I will eventualy (I'm
having some troubles with jack in my computer though, but that's another
problem). Still, what I want is something to display the pitches inside Pd
while I'm working with the algorithms, honestly, all those hacks are not as
good as a tool like those from PWGL or OpenMusic. I know that Pd was not
tought as a CAC program, but on the other side, It was not tought as a video
rendering software either...

2010/11/6 Aykut Caglayan

> Did you try Fomus?
> http://fomus.sourceforge.net/
> it's supposed to be used with Pd too.
> Fomus is very functional to transpose numerical data flow into musical
> notation

Looks nice. Didn't have the chance to try it yet. It can solve a lot of
problems but, again, the ideal would be to display the notation at the same
time as I do the math. Now that I think about it, transforming the notation
into a Lilypond/Sibelius/Finale/MusicXML/PostScript file should be a second
step, the first is to have a notation interface inside Pd. The notation
display tools form PWGL and OpenMusic work that way: after you are happy
with the results, than you can export to you notation software.

Don't get me wrong, all those ideas were very very helpful and I will try
them, but since we are just talking about an (yet) hypothetical tool, I
think we should consider what would be the best thing to have for that
poupose. Pd has a lot of potential as a CAC tool (we are already doing it)
and a notation display is something that I feel is essential for that task.

Caio