[PD] Musical notation object on Pd

Caio Barros caio.barros at gmail.com
Mon Nov 8 14:06:34 CET 2010

2010/11/8 João Pais <jmmmpais at googlemail.com>

> About the scale, do you have problems with midi note? I believe this
>>> would be the most compatible with other functions.
>>>

>> Well, normally I use midi note numbers or a transposed version thereof
>> (especially : midi note minus a multiple of 12), but in this case, I have
>> only implemented «white keys», and then, I wonder what you expect the
>> interface to be, to implement the «black keys», and whether those numbers
>> should be displayed as dièse or bémol.
>>
>> I think I will use the vertical space as something as equally divided as
>> possible into midi notes, and then display all of them as either unaltered
>> or dièse. Later, the latter part can be modified to show notes in any
>> other chosen scale, maybe...
>>
>> And I want an option to hide the clef de Sol (thinking of it in the
>> context of using it as a [#many] component, hypothesising a future in
>> which [#many] supports an abstraction name as its $1).
>>

> don't forget that chromatic pitches is just a small fraction of what's
> available. then there's quarter-, eight-, sixteenth-, etc. tones (just to
> say some for which there exist already notation standards), "natural"
> tunings (harmonic series), other tunings, cent notation...
>
> as I see it, no notation object is complete without being possible to
> incorporate these as well (I didn't download your object yet, so didn't see
> how you do it).

If i'm not mistaken, in PWGL and OpenMusic the user can choose if he or she
wants to display all the notes as sharps (dièse) or flats (bémol) and then
change each note to its enharmonic pair if wanted. What I supouse would be
the best choice is to have a kind of message that you send to the object
with the following options:
- all "black notes" as sharps. suggestion: [accidental sharp<
- all "black notes" as flats. suggestion: [accidental flat<
- wich note I want in wich way. suggestion: [accidental 1 0 1 0 0 < meaning
c-sharp, e-flat, f-sharp, a-flat and b-flat.
What would be extremely nice is if the user could change those options after
the note is displayed, dynamically.

In the case of microtones, again, if I'm not mistaken, in those CAC
softwares the user can choose between:
- Display the quarter-tone default symbols(
http://en.wikivisual.com/index.php/Image:Partial_accidentals.gif) if its
just quarter tone what the user wants
- Display the arrowed accidentals for "more-than-sharp",
"less-than-natural", etc. (see attached picture, made with lilypond) and
display a number at the right of the note wich I don't remember if it is the
frequency in Herz or the midi pitch as in, for instance, 60.3. I personally
prefer the second option, but I believe that in the perfect tool the user
could choose between the two.

I didn't try the object yet because I didn't have the chance to try to
compile gridflow 9.13. I never done this before, but I'll try to do it
today. Anyway, this [note] object seems the most promissing of the choices
presented here (I feel that of course because its the closest to what I had
in mind, maybe in the future the community will choose something different).
Thank you Mathieu!