[PD] Pd 20% idle CPU usage on MBP

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at at.or.at
Mon Nov 8 16:45:05 CET 2010

On Nov 8, 2010, at 7:25 AM, Jamie Bullock wrote:

> On 8 Nov 2010, at 12:15, Jamie Bullock wrote:
>

>> I don't think portaudio is that great for realtime work, although I
>> think this is bordering on worst-case (compared to other apps).
>> I've a feeling the problem might lie in the buffer size used for
>> passing audio to portaudio.
>>

> And I've just noticed that Pd uses the PABLIO (blocking I/O)
> interface to Portaudio. This might be part of the problem as it
> certainly isn't designed fo low-latency work.
>
> cf. http://music.columbia.edu/pipermail/portaudio/2002-March/000578.html
>
> Jamie

Another thing to try is Miller's new "callback" support.  Its a
checkbox in the audio settings.

About this, I don't think anyone really thinks its good as it is, its
just a matter of someone doing the work to improve it.  The Jack
support in Pd does seem to get a lot more work on it, so that's
probably also a good reason why it works better.

If nature has made any one thing less susceptible than all others of
it to himself; but the moment it is divulged, it forces itself into
the possession of everyone, and the receiver cannot dispossess himself
of it.            - Thomas Jefferson