[PD] Pd 20% idle CPU usage on MBP

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Mon Nov 8 21:45:29 CET 2010

On Sun, 7 Nov 2010, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:

> As far as I understand it, Pd only does the 20% idle thing when its not
> really doing anything.  So if Pd is working hard, it'll stop spending
> 20% of the CPU idling.

It's not a real idle thing, it's a 20 % usage reported by 'top' while the
user assumes that Pd shouldn't be doing anything. For example, you open
pd, open no patches, and then 'top' reports 20 % usage and the computer
gets a bit warmer than when Pd is not open.

Can anyone run Apple Shark on this, so that we know what it is doing when
it's doing that ?