[PD] Musical notation object on Pd

Caio Barros caio.barros at gmail.com
Tue Nov 9 14:55:08 CET 2010

About the key signature (armadure), if the user choose, for instance, the
key of G major (with the f-sharp) and click+drag the mouse it will get only
the seven notes from the G major scale? if thats the case I really think
that one important option should be the chromatic scale and in that case the
user need again to choose wich notes are flat and wich are sharp.
If you are planning to make the object behave in major/minor scales the
really best would be to have the options to accept any scale like, for
instance, the modes of limited transposition (
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modes_of_limited_transposition) and a lot of
ethnic modes wich are about unlimited (and a lot of them are microtonal, by
the way). If this is too much, at least the chromatic option is imperative.
On the one hand, the scale behavior is nice for some calculations (I already
have some ideas), but honestly I would almost always use it in the chromatic
mode.

I had an idea for the mouse dragging that I don't know how hard is to
implement.
How about making the object behave like the number atom, that is, if the
user click and drag, the notes will go up and down chromatically (or in the
scale choosen) and if the user shift+click+drag the notes would move in a
microtonal way. It doesn't have to be that much precise (I would say, two
float points in midi scale maybe? = cents), if the user really wants to make
precise notation it would input it as a float on the inlet. At least in
western music, this much precision is impossible to execute by a human
player playing an instrument, this precition would be only for calculations
anyway.