[PD] dbtorms + friends and negative dB values

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Wed Nov 10 00:30:57 CET 2010

On Tue, 9 Nov 2010, Lorenzo Sutton wrote:

> At least here the help file clearly states "zero dB, which should
> correspond to 0.0001 in "RMS", is instead rounded down to zero" so
> nothing you are unaware of really

If it doesn't say that zero dB ought to correspond to 0.00001, it's damn
wrong, because 0.0001 corresponds to 20 dB (in Miller's units).

> dB isn't really a "physical" unit anyway,

yes and no, it's still meant to be an affine function away (ax+b) from the
log of the voltage, assuming a distorsion-free rendering with a uniform
response (... as if that existed ...).

> so I guess some approximation with it shouldn't crash any rocket [1]...

Well, I was planning to launch a pd-guided missile... thank god you guys
found that bug. ;)