[PD] Musical notation object on Pd

João Pais jmmmpais at googlemail.com
Wed Nov 10 10:26:54 CET 2010

>> in that case, I'll have little interest in your solution.
>
> Hey, I'm making an abstraction, which you can modify to make it work the
> way you want, and I promise to accept your version in GridFlow (though
> perhaps under a different name). What's wrong with that ?

nothing, it's quite nice. I'm just alerting that it can be a more complex
problem.

>> I'm just alerting to what going on to this terrain might involve, as for
>> long pitch hasn't been reduced to midi integers. like if someone
>> releases an oscilator that doesn't accept values behind commas, no one
>> will find it useful.
>
> The analogy doesn't hold that much, because oscillators use non-integer
> midi numbers a lot more often than a score needs to.

that depends on the person. if you get someone that doesn't really work
that much with electronic, you give him an oscillator with integers, and
he'll be happy (for a short while, until he will need more than that,
hopefully).

>> I'm saying to notate these things in the picture.
>
> ok... hmmm... I may try something later, but you're still not telling me
> how someone would pick a number of ± cents by clicking in a certain way
> inside of the box. How would that happen ?

I didn't look at your example and I can't do it for now, I really can't
have a break to look for the files.
I'm not sure if it's a good idea to control that with the mouse, maybe
better an external command? As I said on another mail, I don't know if on
open music etc is possible to change notes by click-dragging, or if it's
that important.

>> you could display some of these with a cluster, indicating the top and
>> bottom values, and the normal cluster line to notate it's a cluster.
>
> A probability distribution is not just an interval, it's a likelihood
> associated to each value. (Well, often a probability distribution isn't
> even an interval, but that's another story)

that's right. in that case it would have to be a symbol or something, that
opens up the note reservoir by clicking on it.

> I mentioned those things because I was just guessing what kind of things
> one could invent, which would make microtonality just not complete enough
> anymore, so I picked a few things that a mathematician might be curious
> try.

anyway these examples can be interesting. it might be better to do with
encapsulation of note objects inside other "notes". don't know pd is
capable of doing that with normal objects (or current data structures
capabilities, they're still underdeveloped), without giving the programmer
a breakdown and psychanalist therapy.

João