[PD] dc offset

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Sat Nov 13 14:13:02 CET 2010

On Fri, 12 Nov 2010, ronni montoya wrote:

> Hi Can anybody tell me in which ocations you can get dc offset in pd?

Many different possibilities. I use [hip~] to remove the dc offset from
[adc~] in case it's unbalanced.

I also use [lop~] on the product of a signal with itself, because that
gives me a signal-rate equivalent of [env~] (except [env~] also does
[powtodb]). That's because the product of two sinusoids is equal to the
sum of two other sinusoids, for the sum and difference of frequencies, and
in the case of each sinusoid paired with itself, a frequency minus itself
is zero hertz.

Sometimes I use the [hip~] of the product of a signal with itself... it
allows me to get funny sounds out of the guitar, while the [hip~] keeps it
balanced so that [dac~] (or a distorsion effect) stays the most efficient.

You can use "dc offsets" in many situations, such as envelopes. In that
case, the signal is not meant to be centered on zero anyway... and it's
even meant to not be centered, and never negative.

(is that clearer now ?)