[PD] equal loudness

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Sat Nov 13 19:13:31 CET 2010

On Sat, 13 Nov 2010, Ed Kelly wrote:

> I like the sound of that (sic) because dB is too drastic and linear is
> wrong. Have you noticed how most television sets have a linear volume
> control?

Linear compared to what ?
Do you mean quadratic ?

I haven't measured the volume controls of my soundcard, but I don't get
the impression that they are linear. They use some kind of "percentage" of
whatever unspecified.

If I dust off my [SoundMixer] external (for accessing the OSS-Mixer) I
could make a loopback test that plots a graph and then do some kind of
curve-fitting. (that external was written in Ruby ; I'd rewrite it in C++)

> most computers too. These so-called "experts" need to be taught a lesson
> (about deciBels)

But if they make "mistakes" like that, it looks like they are caring about
those users that are "confused" by decibels. You know, user-friendly for
real users, those users that are more real than the other ones.