[PD] Linux Computer for mappping with GEM

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Mon Nov 15 09:14:34 CET 2010

On 2010-11-15 04:01, F. Medeiros wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I will buy a computer for mapping with pd + GEM and it would be nice to
> get some advice before I make a mistake.
>
> I will be using 3 projectors so I though about using 2 nvidia cards to
> get 4 outputs (3 projectors + 1 screen for control), anyone knows if
> this is working easily with Linux? I want to get a Gemwin that covers
> the 3 screens.

yes that would work fine.

however i would recommend to get a matrox triplehead2go converter, so
you need only a single (dual-headed) gfx card and you will still be able
to run up to 6 screens with that.

personally i think that going through the hazzle of installing more than
1 gfx card is only worth it, if you need to run more than 6 screens.

> I also want to get some video input from a camera or dvd or a VJ, I read
> on this list nice things about the Canopus ADVC-110 so I guess this is a
> good option but since I don't need it to be external maybe someone can
> recommend a nice internal card that works nice on Linux.

generally all that uses dv as transport, will add quite a lot of latency
to the video.
best thing would be to use some analog grabber card
i have good experience with brooktree/conexant bt8x8 chips (as found on
hauppauge and other cards)

msdfts
IOhannes