[PD] Which Linux distribution are you using?

Pierre Massat pimassat at gmail.com
Mon Nov 15 22:21:33 CET 2010

Hi,
I have installed Ubuntu 10.04 LTS, plus some ubuntu studio stuff (the audio
packages and the plugins). I also tried the rt-kernel. It didn't work.
But i am amazed, blown away, baffled, etc. Because the generic kernel does
have some crazy rt capabilities indeed. I guess the ubuntu studio packages
must have created the audio group and jack must have written the proper
things in the limit file, but still, it works surprisingly well. Jack can
run in rt with a latency as low 4 ms without any xruns, although it
crashes.It works just fine at 5.33 ms. Even pd itself work with an extremely
low latency (I'd say below 7 ms), I'm assuming that's because it was
configured to run in rt during the install.
I don't even know if i need JACK anymore. Does any of you know how i can
measure the actual latency in Pd? I couldn't tell by ear which config was
faster, Pd alone or Pd plus JACK.
Looks like it time to say goodbye to rt-kernels...

This makes me happy.

Cheers!

Pierre