[PD] Which Linux distribution are you using?

Raphael Raccuia rafael.raccuia at blindekinder.com
Mon Nov 15 23:06:15 CET 2010

Le 15. 11. 10 22:21, Pierre Massat a écrit :
> Hi,
> I have installed Ubuntu 10.04 LTS, plus some ubuntu studio stuff (the
> audio packages and the plugins). I also tried the rt-kernel. It didn't
> work.
> But i am amazed, blown away, baffled, etc. Because the generic kernel
> does have some crazy rt capabilities indeed. I guess the ubuntu studio
> packages must have created the audio group and jack must have written
> the proper things in the limit file, but still, it works surprisingly
> well. Jack can run in rt with a latency as low 4 ms without any xruns,
> although it crashes.It works just fine at 5.33 ms. Even pd itself work
> with an extremely low latency (I'd say below 7 ms), I'm assuming
> that's because it was configured to run in rt during the install.
> I don't even know if i need JACK anymore.
jack don't add latency, and it's a powerfull sound server... you can
connect pd to the outputs of your sound device and/or other sound/midi
softwares, then you can save a patchbay to recover your patch... it's
one of the most interesting stuffs on linux.

> Does any of you know how i can measure the actual latency in Pd?
have a look on jdelay: a simple jack command-line latency-meter. when
you start it, a new client appears in jack: connect it between pd out
and in, connect in and out in a pd patch, you'll get a time in frame:
frame/frequency = t in sec (ex  480 / 48000 = 0.010 = 10 ms). You can
connect it between sound device in and out and plug a jack between out
and in, you'll get the real round latency...
you will have to compile it, README explains all...
> I couldn't tell by ear which config was faster, Pd alone or Pd plus JACK.
maybe I'm wrong, but I thing only jack can provide rt...
cheers,