[PD] Which Linux distribution are you using?

Martin Schied crinimal at gmx.net
Wed Nov 17 03:36:32 CET 2010

On 15.11.2010 23:06, Raphael Raccuia wrote:

> Le 15. 11. 10 22:21, Pierre Massat a écrit :
>> Hi,
>> I have installed Ubuntu 10.04 LTS, plus some ubuntu studio stuff (the
>> audio packages and the plugins). I also tried the rt-kernel. It
>> didn't work.
>> But i am amazed, blown away, baffled, etc. Because the generic kernel
>> does have some crazy rt capabilities indeed. I guess the ubuntu
>> studio packages must have created the audio group and jack must have
>> written the proper things in the limit file, but still, it works
>> surprisingly well. Jack can run in rt with a latency as low 4 ms
>> without any xruns, although it crashes.It works just fine at 5.33 ms.
>> Even pd itself work with an extremely low latency (I'd say below 7
>> ms), I'm assuming that's because it was configured to run in rt
>> during the install.
>> I don't even know if i need JACK anymore.
> jack don't add latency, and it's a powerfull sound server... you can
> connect pd to the outputs of your sound device and/or other sound/midi
> softwares, then you can save a patchbay to recover your patch... it's
> one of the most interesting stuffs on linux.

it does add latency in most cases. you specify the amount of latency by
using different period sizes and numbers of periods settings. But you
can use very small buffers on some systems with good audio hardware, so
they have the same size you would use inside pd in standalone
(64samples). In this case you will not have more latency using jack than
using pd standalone. (I'm also only 99.9% sure about this, beware.).

Practically speaking - on systems I used until now I could always
achieve lower buffer sizes using pd standalone and thus get lower round
trip delays too.
>> I couldn't tell by ear which config was faster, Pd alone or Pd plus
>> JACK.
> maybe I'm wrong, but I thing only jack can provide rt...
you can run pd with the -rt flag, without jack. fo me it has proven to
be far more stable at the lowest possible latencies than using jack. but
this depends on your setup too. I don't use jack when I don't need it.

Martin