[PD] 200 voices of timbre-space navigation

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Tue Nov 23 18:32:21 CET 2010

On Tue, Nov 23, 2010 at 11:57:26AM -0500, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
> On Nov 23, 2010, at 3:52 AM, Frank Barknecht wrote:
>> Is there a special reason tha I'm missing for voicepoly using  [initbang]
>> instead of [loadbang]?
>
> It makes the coding much easier, IMHO.  Also, it gives the possibilities
> for dynamically creating inlets and outlets.  But the objects don't
> currently do that, so I am open to someone converting them to use
> [loadbang].  They do require ggee/getdir tho, I think there is no
> replacement for that.  I just got rid of a zexy requirement, so its
> currently [initbang] and [ggee/getdir] AFAIR.

The problem with initbang is that currently it requires a patched version of Pd
so it's not as easy to install as an external. Unless you create inlets or
outlets dynamically, initbang IMO is superflous and patching with loadbang is
almost as easy: Just add one "loadbang" message box and trigger it at the end.

Creating inlets/outlets dynamically can be useful, but actually it would be
most useful to get rid of the nasty wrapper abstractions, but for that you'd
ideally need a way to detect the number of inlets/outlets a dynamically created
object has. I think, iemguts has something for that.  The rj polys don't use
wrappers, but they require your abstractions to be designed specially, for
instance midi-note pairs in and stereo outs. In practice this is sufficient in
many cases.

I didn't look in detail at how [getdir] is used, but for the rj poly objects we
just require that the things you want to create dynamically are in your search
path, just like for [polypoly]. I think, that's probably a reasonable
assumption.

Ciao
--
 Frank Barknecht            Do You RjDj.me?          _ ______footils.org__