[PD] New user - technical questions

Max abonnements at revolwear.com
Tue Nov 30 23:21:57 CET 2010

Am 30.11.2010 um 21:51 schrieb Xavier Miller:
> Hello, greetings from Belgium,
welcome to the list.

> I am starting with Pd and have some questions:
> - does Pd support multi-threading?
maybe someone else could answer this one in depth, i know that tim blechmann has worked on a fork which does this.

> If not, is it possible to launch many Pd instances and sync them?
Yes, It is possible to launch many instances of Pd, you may look into Jack to combine the output or something
Also look into the [pd~] object in Pd 42 or newer.

> - can Pd dynamically change its patches without stopping the engine? Can Pd unload some objects, open other patches, connect them?
Yes, look into dynamic patching Menu -> Help -> Browser ->Manuals -> pd-msg ->...
Also check out [switch~] to stop audio processing in subpatches.

> - can Pd run without GUI, even without X support?
Yes, read about the startup flags at the end of the official manual. the flag -nogui is an option

> - can Pd be embedded in an application, and controlled programmatically? (if not, I can use OSC)
Yes, look at pdlib http://puredata.info/community/projects/software/libpd/

m.