[PD] Setting tempo via microphone input (eg audience clapping)

Pedro Lopes pedro.lopes at ist.utl.pt
Wed Dec 1 18:08:49 CET 2010

Very easy to do (i did a similar thing , where I used a microphone to create
gestures to control an multitouch DJ application, see a small paper in [1]
).

In my approach I used gesture templates, but since all you want is "tapping"
(or claping) you are just looking for "peaks" in amplitude analysis. So:

mic -> pd -> "attack detection" -> hit a bang that will set the tempo ->
compute tempo in BPM -> build an OSC message and ship it to a port, where
the ardour/DAW will listen.

Now "attack detection" in PD can be performed in various ways, one cool way
is to use bonk~ to detect attacks (see Miller's paper in [2]) or on a
simpler level you can analyse the signal manually with env~.

Computing the "tempo" is very easy, you just need to measure the time
between to bangs. And convert that to BPM (beats per minute, thus 60
seconds). There's a patch here in the list that does that, I remember
talking about that here.

The final stage is simple, "Sending the OSC" message, just see the help
patch of the packOSC and other OSC-related externals, they supply examples.
Also João Pais, has so nice information on controlling Ardour via pd in here
[3] and he has a patch for it.

About building and shipping the OSC message

[1] http://dl.dropbox.com/u/7329207/PedroLopesDTW-based_RecOPad2010.pdf
[2] http://www-crca.ucsd.edu/~tapel/icmc98.pdf
[3] http://puredata.info/Members/jmmmp

hope this helps,
Pedro
On Wed, Dec 1, 2010 at 5:55 AM, Paul Winchester <pww35 at cornell.edu> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I am working on a project in which I would like to have the tempo of a DAW
> (Ableton, FL Studio, etc) set by the clapping of an audience.  Not sure how
> to approach tackling the problem.  Any and all help is appreciated.
>
> Thanks.

Pedro Lopes (MSc)
contact: pedro.lopes at ist.utl.pt
website: http://web.ist.utl.pt/Pedro.Lopes