[PD] New user - technical questions

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at at.or.at
Wed Dec 1 18:19:43 CET 2010

On Dec 1, 2010, at 11:52 AM, Pedro Lopes wrote:

> > I am starting with Pd and have some questions:
> > - does Pd support multi-threading?
> >maybe someone else could answer this one in depth, i know that tim
> blechmann has worked on a fork >which does this
>
> I'm interested in multi-threading "inside" pd, i.e..: could an
> external be compiled with openMP and have parallelization. Where can
> I find this?

Parallelization is built into Pd, just put down objects, and they will
run in parallel.  Granted, Pd doesn't use threads to implement the
parallelization because it aims to be completely deterministic
(basically, that means a patch run exactly the same everytime).  Its
difficult to write a deterministic program using standard threads.

It sounds to me that you have a solution in your head looking for a
problem, perhaps you could start with the problem?

.hc

> On Tue, Nov 30, 2010 at 10:23 PM, Hans-Christoph Steiner <hans at at.or.at
> > wrote:
>
> On Nov 30, 2010, at 5:06 PM, tim vets wrote:
>

>> 2010/11/30 Xavier Miller <xavier.miller at cauwe.org>
>> Hello, greetings from Belgium,
>>
>> I am starting with Pd and have some questions:
>> - does Pd support multi-threading? If not, is it possible to launch
>> many Pd instances and sync them?
>>
>> take a look at the [pd~] object
>> or you can simply run multiple pd instances and send messages
>> between them...
>>
>> - can Pd dynamically change its patches without stopping the
>> engine? Can Pd unload some objects, open other patches, connect them?
>>
>> Yes, though you have to take care a bit. If you load huge files or
>> create or delete many tilde objects, the dsp engine may be
>> interrupted.
>> look at "dynamic patching", or 'pd-msg' stuff
>>
>> - can Pd run without GUI, even without X support?
>>
>> yes, do "pd -nogui", don't know if you have to have X running
>> though, I suppose not?
>>
>> - can Pd be embedded in an application, and controlled
>> programmatically? (if not, I can use OSC)
>>

>> We are using pd as a soundengine for a game development project.
>> ( cityinabottle.org )
>> The main program is python and pd is running in the background (-
>> nogui) with OSC communication.
>

> That sounds very interesting, I'd love to hear more about it!
>
> .hc

> --
> Pedro Lopes (MSc)
> contact: pedro.lopes at ist.utl.pt
> website: http://web.ist.utl.pt/Pedro.Lopes

I hate it when they say, "He gave his life for his country."  Nobody
gives their life for anything.  We steal the lives of these kids.  -
Admiral Gene LeRocque