[PD] OT: asimuth in speaker

Derek Holzer derek at umatic.nl
Thu Dec 2 12:08:31 CET 2010

Hi Ronnie,

you would need a Mid/Side recorded audio file, I'm sure the trick
doesn't work with normal stereo. But no I don't have a patch. Normal M/S
uses M and S instead of L and R. The S track gets panned left, and then
an identical version gets panned right and inverted in phase, in Pd this
would be [*~ -1]. Then use a samplewise delay on the M track, which is
panned center (i.e. [*~ 0.5] sent to both left and right after the
[z~]). To a point, the longer the delay in samples, the "higher" the Mid
track seems elevated.

There could be plugins to convert normal stereo to M/S. I recall seeing
such a thing in my Ardour plugins, so it probably came form one LADSPA lib.

Best!
Derek

On 12/2/10 3:38 AM, ronni montoya wrote:
> Hi Derek this sounds very interesting, is there an example patch of
> this trick to share?
>
> thanks
>

> 2010/12/1 Derek Holzer<derek at umatic.nl>:
>> I've created the psychoacoustic effect of azimuth with Mid-Side recordings
>> on stereo speakers before. Use traditional M/S panning: Mid = Center, L = +
>> Side, Right = - Side, and add a samplewise delay to the Mid channel to
>> "elevate" it in the sound field. I've never seen this trick discussed, but
>> then again I'm not reading a lot of academic literature either.
>>
>> D.
>>
>> On 12/1/10 10:34 AM, ronni montoya wrote:
>>>
>>> Hello, i was wondering if its possible to perceive azimuth with 2
>>> speakers? Ive tried earplug but it just work with headphones, is it
>>> possible to create azimuth with speakers? If yes is there any library
>>> or object for this in pd?
>>

>> --
>> ::: derek holzer ::: http://macumbista.net :::
>> ---Oblique Strategy # 24: