[PD] The Game of Life

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Fri Dec 3 15:30:13 CET 2010

On Mon, 29 Nov 2010, Chris McCormick wrote:

> Using that you can build CA fields of arbitrary size. There is a small
> bug where cells shift one unit when crossing some boundaries - I think
> the top and bottom of the field but I can't remember - but it doesn't
> have too disruptive an effect and the whole structure still functions
> ok.

Usually it's between the right and left borders, that there is a shift by
one cell. That happens if you number the cells with a single number in the
usual way : one row gets all the lowest numbers, then the next row gets
all the next ones, etc, like this :

  0  1  2  3  4  5  6  7
  8  9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31

And if you consider that to the right of cell n there is cell n+1, then 16
is to the right of 15.

If you do this with [#store] or [#convolve] using a grid of size (4 8),
then cell 8 is to the right of cell 15, because they're really numbered
like (1 0) and (1 7), that is, using two-element lists.

> I made some music with my implementation which you can hear here:
> <http://sciencegirlrecords.com/chr15m/music/CD004/ca1.ogg>

Ah, btw, I made music using the Pascal triangle, which is a finite state
automaton of some kind whenever you use modulo on it. I did it mod 32.

http://artengine.ca/matju/musique/matju_-_gamelan_binomial_version_trois.mp3
http://artengine.ca/matju/musique/gamelan_binomial.png