[PD] More SVN build questions

Hans-Christoph Steiner Hans at at.or.at
Fri Dec 3 23:37:53 CET 2010

On Dec 3, 2010, at 1:54 PM, Ivica Ico Bukvic wrote:

> Hans,
>
> Your lastest nightly snapshot is also missing flatspace (but at
> least it
> does build libdir,flib, and toxy). I've had to build libdir, flib, and
> toxy manually, so I guess there is a workaround for that (in other
> words
> the current svn build script simply ignores building those for
> whatever
> reason). But the absence of flatspace even in your nightly builds is
> baffling. Is this thing then deprecated in latest svn?

Hey Ico,

For the next release of Pd-extended, I'm trying to open up the process
of what gets included into Pd-extended and make sure there is a clear
maintainer for each library that's included.  There are a number of
very old, obsolete libraries in there now, and I don't have the time
to maintain all of the libraries that are currently in Pd-extended.

Recently, we've put a lot of effort in making it easier to make,
distribute and install libraries, these are changes in Pd 0.43 and Pd-
extended 0.42.  That means there is less pressure to put libraries
into Pd-extended.  So I think its appropriate to make sure only really
stable (i.e. in bugs and in API) libraries should be included in Pd-
extended.

One last piece of this puzzle is that we've been working on getting
lots of libraries into Debian (and therefore Ubuntu, Mint, etc), so
I'm shifting my development focus there, and Pd-extended will be based
on what's in Debian.

This is definitely a moving target, and things are still taking shape,
but that's the general idea of what I'm thinking now.  You can see
more here, and I'm going to try to get more organized on this topic too.

http://puredata.info/docs/developer/GettingIntoPdextended
http://puredata.info/dev/NextRelease

'You people have such restrictive dress for women,’ she said, hobbling
away in three inch heels and panty hose to finish out another pink-
collar temp pool day.  - “Hijab Scene #2", by Mohja Kahf