[PD] buttonbar GUI plugin

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at at.or.at
Sat Dec 4 00:07:21 CET 2010

On Dec 3, 2010, at 11:21 AM, Jack wrote:

> Le vendredi 03 décembre 2010 à 10:28 -0500, Hans-Christoph Steiner a
> écrit :

>>> After I developed Pd's original buttonbar, I realised that it's not
>>> particularly useful. Keyboard shortcuts are a lot more useful. The
>>> buttonbar is bit more comfortable if it supports drag-n-drop. This
>>> is something I haven't implemented, and Hans hasn't implemented
>>> either.
>>>
>>> However, Hans implemented auto-hide. (Instead, I had an editmode
>>> toggle in the bar)
>>>
>>> I wonder what the auto-hide thing means in terms of how big patch
>>> windows are when they open.
>>

>> Funny, I started out doing it to test the idea of hiding/showing
>> something based on editmode, but then it grew into a life of its own.
>> Right now, I find the behavior a little annoying, the canvas stays
>> the
>> same size, and the buttonbar is inserted at the top, so it moves the
>> canvas down.  I think it would work better to have the button bar
>> show
>> up at the bottom if its going to expand the window size.  Or the
>> other
>> option is that it covers part of the canvas and the window stays the
>> same size, but that I think would be harder to implement since Pd
>> wants to control the size of the canvas.
>>
>> Another thing I think should be possible as a plugin is to have a
>> right-click menu bar of those buttons.
>
> And an other small window à la The Gimp (window toobox) ?

That would not be hard to do.  Basically just create a 'toplevel'
window, and arrange the buttons that I made for the toolbar in that
toplevel window.  The plugin could also add key bindings and items in
the Window menu, or wherever appropriate.  I'm happy to give pointers
to anyone who wants to take this on.

.hc