[PD] pd in ubuntu 8.04: pd hijacks alsa?

Aaron L. elmastero74 at gmail.com
Sun Dec 5 22:34:21 CET 2010

This is somewhat of a complete newb issue so I apologize up front for
that.......

However, it seems that I cannot use pdextended and watch a youtube video at
the same time (the youtube vid is a pd tutorial).

Here's what it's starting with:

 pasuspender -- /usr/bin/pdextended -alsa %F

Is it absolutely necessary to start pd with 'pasuspender'?

When I don't (i.e. start it like this:  '/usr/bin/pdextended -alsa' ), I get
a bunch of 'device or resource busy' messages in the terminal and I don't
get any audio when doing the whold testtone thing).

Is there any way around this?

It'd be nice to follow along with the tutorials in youtube (on the same
computer).

Thanks!

-Aaron