[PD] call for testers for L2Ork iteration of pd-extended (based on 0.42.x branch)

Ivica Ico Bukvic ico at vt.edu
Mon Dec 6 03:34:36 CET 2010

> The argument as I understand it is that all your patches apply to
> 0.42-5.  So pick the simplest feature or bugfix you've implemented
> and submit it as a patch for 0.43.  If you get feedback and/or it
> gets merged, end of discouragement.  If you don't, then the
> development process is broken and needs fixing.
>
> If I knew how I'd do it myself.

Even if I had the time to do this (meaning learn 0.43 code base), it is
not that simple. I actually prefer 0.42.5 over 0.43 for several reasons:

1) 0.42.5 is now rather stable while 0.43 is still evolving (AFAIK) and
as such it is IMHO not production ready. In due time this will change
but AFAIK 0.43 is not there yet.

2) 0.43 will likely never merge some of the UI L2Ork improvements as
they are for the lack of a better word a hack, a temporary fix if you
like until something better comes around to replace aging Tcl/Tk.

3) 0.42.5 code-base is IMHO more friendly towards porting the entire
thing to a different toolkit as all tcl/tk stuff is encapsulated into
one (albeit ugly) big file. As such, I see it as a better springboard
for such a transition.

FWIW, I did some digging through the Juce platform and it is rather
amazing. I will dig a bit more to see how quickly one could port the
core Pd. I also understand that this process will undoubtedly require a
huge rewrite of all gui-based externals but sometimes one simply has to
take a fews steps back to start leaping forward.

Just my 1-cents worth...

Ico