[PD] pd in ubuntu 8.04: pd hijacks alsa?

Pedro Lopes pedro.lopes at ist.utl.pt
Mon Dec 6 14:56:16 CET 2010

Yep, when a software demands alsa (like pd does) it gets stuck. Jack is the
way to go, but it actually works the same way, 'cause once jack gets a hold
of alsa, everything else that is not communcating to jack and is demanding
alsa will also be stuck. The trick is making/using programs that can talk to
jack (i.e.: my audio player is mocp, video player is vlc, daw is ardour,
etc... etc... they all can use jack as output).

Making flash plugin / browser going to jack has been coverd in many forums.
example:
- http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=843012

note: Last time I tried to put my chrome+flash_plugin working with jack it
took a bit of long time and a lot of ubuntu studio forum reading!

best of luck,
Pedro

On Mon, Dec 6, 2010 at 8:21 AM, IOhannes m zmoelnig <zmoelnig at iem.at> wrote:

> On 2010-12-05 22:34, Aaron L. wrote:
> > This is somewhat of a complete newb issue so I apologize up front for
> > that.......
> >
> > However, it seems that I cannot use pdextended and watch a youtube video
> at
> > the same time (the youtube vid is a pd tutorial).
> >
> > Here's what it's starting with:
> >
> >  pasuspender -- /usr/bin/pdextended -alsa %F
> >
> > Is it absolutely necessary to start pd with 'pasuspender'?
> >
> > When I don't (i.e. start it like this:  '/usr/bin/pdextended -alsa' ), I
> get
> > a bunch of 'device or resource busy' messages in the terminal and I don't
> > get any audio when doing the whold testtone thing).
> >
> > Is there any way around this?
>

> well, this is exactly the way how alsa is supposed to work:
> - only one application can access a (hardware) device at any point
>
> pulseaudio is a way to circumvent this limitation.
> running Pd in pasuspender, effectively disables pulseaudio including all
> it's features.
>

> luckily there are ways around that.
>
> - use pulseaudio (not a good option, as Pd currently doesn't support it
> :-(; btw, pa is geared towards the ordinary consumer multimedia desktop
> where people would like to watch their youtube videos and at the same
> time listen to the latest p!nk smash hit; Pd is not really targeted
> towards that marketm, hence pa is not done yet)
>
> - use alsa's "dmix" interface; "dmix" is a virtual device that allows
> several applications to send their audio output to the same hardware
> device (without the applications even knowing of it). i'm not 100% sure
> whether you can actually access this from within Pd....
>
> - use "jack". now you can think of jack as "pulseaudio for pros", it
> allows to route the output of one process to the input of another
> process (or more); "process" can be both hardware (your soundcard) or
> software (Pd, your browser,...).
> there are also ways to make alsa-only applications (e.g. your browser)
> use a pseudo alsa device that really sends all audio to jack (thus the
> application need not be aware of jack at all)
>

> madt
> IOhannes

Pedro Lopes (MSc)
contact: pedro.lopes at ist.utl.pt