[PD] new license for pidip and unauthorized WAS: pd-pidip into Debian

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Mon Dec 6 14:59:54 CET 2010

On Mon, 6 Dec 2010, Pagano, Patrick wrote:

> So what does this really mean? We have to go back to building pidip from
> source if we want to use it? has it changed that much from when it was
> released? I am just starting to get students interested in learning
> these objects and would like to continue

Actually, you don't have the right to use PiDiP, and no-one has the right
to. It's illegal, and it's been like that for at least five years.

> Why is there this animosity?

Because there is a genuine legal problem, and it's been there for at least
five years, but for some people, it has somehow become more obvious now,
because the Degoyon clause just expanded a lot, though it was already
just as illegal in 2005.