[PD] How to avoid "choppy" midi outputs sounds using multi-user DIY music controllers ? (newbie question)

Robb Mitchell robbathon at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Dec 7 15:31:20 CET 2010

Hi

I am trying to make a musical instrument for two or three people to play at once
(fuller details below).  Each person will have a controller, and I am outputting
to a software synthesizier.
It works fine (some very fun responses!) with one controller, but input from the
second sensor cuts short the notes played by the first (and vice versa).
Is there some way to make a MIDI note play for its full duration regardless or
whether another "overlapping" note is being played ?
(and if not, other suggested workarounds most welcome)
I thought maybe Noteout channel numbers was the way, but I maybe
misunderstanding how these work...

Many thanks

Robb

Fuller Details:

I am working towards a remake and electronic update of an earlier, fairly
popular "dance floor" sculpture:
http://www.chateau.eclipse.co.uk/robb/socialwhirl.htm
but hoping to transform people's movements on the rotating discs into sound
(though not expecting to wire up as many as 28 rotating discs for some time!
Two or three is enough for now)

So the basic set up is:
Gyroscope sensor in each disc/controller