[PD] pix_film crash with .avi files

F. Medeiros excalibas at gmail.com
Tue Dec 7 16:04:23 CET 2010

On Tue, 2010-12-07 at 10:49 +0100, IOhannes m zmoelnig wrote:

> i don't know which decoding library your build of Gem uses, but chances
> are that you have either lqt and/or gmerlin.
> you can see which decoding libs you have when you create the first
> [pix_film] object. you should get something like:
> <snip>
> pix_film:: quicktime support
> pix_film:: libmpeg3 support
> pix_film:: libaviplay support
> </snip>
> on your pd-console.

I also don't know, I use pdextended from the Nightly Auto-Builds

when I create the first pix_film I get:

pix_film:: quicktime support
pix_film:: libmpeg3 support

> if you have "quicktime support" (meaning "lqt"), you should try to play
> the video with "lqtplay" (which is part of quicktime-x11utils on debian).
> if this crashes as well, your libquicktime is broken (read: it's nothing
> Gem can do anything about)

I think you are right, lqtplay crashes with the same error, I wonder if
I can fix this.

On Tue, 2010-12-07 at 10:50 +0100, tim vets wrote:

> Here's what I do to any video I want to use in pd:
>

> mencoder $1 -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=mjpeg:vpass=1 -oac pcm -o
> $1_pd.avi
> ffmpeg -i $1_pd.avi -ar 44100 $1_pd.wav
>
> the second line extracts the audio into a separate wav file.
> has always worked for me so far...

This works very good. thank you!

Looks like I will have to convert all my videos now.

Thank you all for the help.

Have a nice day.