[PD] if not currently recieving a 1 then send 0

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Wed Dec 8 04:00:32 CET 2010

On Tue, 7 Dec 2010, Ben Carney wrote:

> lets say I have a metro that sends a bang every one second, for the rest
> of the 999 miliseconds, could I somehow deduce a zero message?
> it doesn't need to be that granular(I don't need 999 0s for every 1)

Even though the base unit of [metro]'s time is the millisecond, it doesn't
mean that a millisecond is somehow any kind of building block of pd's
concept of time. You can have fractional delays of your choice, within the
limits of the float32 format and of the manner of writing it (not too many
decimals...).

Well, actually, [metro] has an artificial lower limit at 1.000000, but if
you imitate [metro] using [delay] connected to itself, you don't have that
limitation.

In the light of this, the question doesn't make much practical sense. But
suppose you still want it. You have to put a [delay 1] so that at the same
time you set the "1", you set a clock that will set the "0" after 1 ms of
time.

Alternately, you can have a [metro 1] connected to a counter that loops
at 1000.