[PD] MIDI Out Scaling Issue (controlling DAW tempo w/ PD)

Paul Winchester pww35 at cornell.edu
Wed Dec 8 06:21:50 CET 2010

Hi all,

I made the following circuit in PD in an attempt to control a DAW's (FL
Studio's in this case) tempo via recorded clapping or tapping (much thanks
to Pedro Lopes who helped me in another thread).

Here's a picture of it:
http://img227.imageshack.us/img227/9851/bpmpd.gif

The only issue I'm having now is scaling the midi data/ doing the right math
so the tempo I calculate in PD is the tempo that is received by my DAW.

I had an 81 bpm song that was consistently being "tapped in" at 88 bpm when
I clapped along, and I suspect this has something to do with my scale
divisor being about 8 in my patch.  The DAW I'm working with has a scale of
about 0-1000 bpm, so I simply divided 1000 by 127 in order to get ~7.87.
This isn't working/isn't as accurate as it needs to be though, and I'm
wondering why.

Any suggestions?  Tips?  Better ways of approaching this?

Thanks.

2010/12/7 András Murányi <muranyia at gmail.com>

> Dear List,
>
> i've made some clanup in my .pdsetting and .pdextended files and removed
> the paths and libs not needed for me.
> Now i get segfault when i load my patch.
> Could it because of a missing lib (like i have deleted a line i shouldn't
> have) and if so, how come?
> How can i debug this? With -verbose, i don't get the segfault but the patch
> never loads...
>
> Andras

Paul Winchester