[PD] lower limit on control to signal

Jonathan Wilkes jancsika at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 8 23:33:20 CET 2010

Hi List,
     I have a question about converting control messages to signal
messages that I thought about after reading a recent thread about
triggering sounds made from [osc~].
     I recently tried a simple test to see if I could generate audio
using a [del] metronome, a counter, and [sin] in a subpatch with
[block~ 1].  However, I ended up with a kind of staircase signal that
resembles a sine wave, where each step is 64 samples long.
     Does this mean it's not possible in Pd to
convert control messages to audio faster than however long it takes to
play a 64-sample block?  I (think) I understand why this is true for a
normal canvas with the default blocksize 64, but not for the subpatch
where I've reset the block size to be smaller.

-Jonathan