[PD] GUI plugin to replace open and save menu with GTK look and feel [WAS] zenity plugin for Pd 0.43 WAS: magicglass WAS: call for testers for L2Ork iteration of pd-extended (based on 0.42.x branch)

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at at.or.at
Thu Dec 9 16:45:28 CET 2010

On Dec 9, 2010, at 10:25 AM, Lorenzo Sutton wrote:

> Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:

>>> Actually a really 'quick and dirty' solution would be to call
>>> zenity [1] from within the tk.. Which IMHO is better than the Tk
>>> file opener.. Attached a version of pd.tk (0.42.5-extended-rc5
>>> linux) which will try touse zenity for open, falling back to Tk if
>>> zeniy is not found (sorry my tcl is really really rusty :-)
>>>
>>> Lorenzo.
>>>
>>> [1]: http://freshmeat.net/projects/zenity
>>

>> That would make a great GUI plugin for Pd 0.43.  Basically the
>> plugin would just override pdtk_openpanel and pdtk_savepanel (now
>> in pd/tcl/wheredoesthisgo.tcl).  Just 'rename' the existing ones in
>> your plugin, then create your own procs with the same names.
> Actually I was replacing the menu items. I see that in 0.43 these
> are in pd_menucommands.tcl but from the examples I have no clue how
> to replace that... Hints would be appreciated :)

You can see lots of example plugins in SVN here so you can either
browse via the web or "svn checkout" this URL:
https://pure-data.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/pure-data/trunk/scripts/guiplugins

So something like:

rename pdtk_openpanel pdtk_openpanel_original
proc pdtk_openpanel {target localdir} {
# my own custom open panel code
}

You can see this in these two plugins:
simple_examples/font_doesnt_follow_focus-plugin.tcl
simple_examples/pdwindow_popup_mode-plugin.tcl

I have always wished for my computer to be as easy to use as my
how to use my telephone."  --Bjarne Stroustrup (creator of C++)