[PD] Object vs Class (was: libraries in Pd-extended 0.43)

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Tue Dec 14 15:35:47 CET 2010

On Tue, 14 Dec 2010, IOhannes m zmoelnig wrote:
> On 2010-12-14 05:58, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
>> Pd doesn't really have classes like OOP (i.e. no inheritance), so I
> as a matter of fact Pd implements a simple OOP system in C (including
> rudimentary inheritance).

This rudimentary inheritance, I suppose, is a way of looking at the way
the C structs are nested : t_pd is in t_gobj, t_gobj is in t_object,
t_object is in t_iemgui, t_iemgui is in t_bng, ... However, Pd doesn't
implement any inheritance of methods, so I wouldn't say that it supports
inheritance. I found this to not be an obstacle to calling Pd an OOP
language (see my reply to Hans).

> iirc, this has all been discussed to the end, and since then the term
> "objectclass" has been pretty much established for what matju refers to
> as "class" right now.

Either "object class" (or "objectclass") or "class" can do, as long as
"object" is synonymous with "instance", and there's a separate word
meaning "class" in one way or another.

"objectclass" was proposed as a compromise to be more readily accepted by
current pd users, but in the end, even the shorthand "class" ought to be
understood by everybody.