[PD] libraries in Pd-extended 0.43

John Harrison johnharrisonwsu at gmail.com
Tue Dec 14 16:27:50 CET 2010

If it were up to me, we'd keep all of Sevy's stuff in Pd-extended. The
licenses Sevy offers conflict with the licenses of much of the software it
borrows from (for example EffecTV) so they are invalid anyway. But I
understand that this may not sit ethically with others so my second
suggestion is, for the benefit of the Pd community, to keep all of Sevy's
stuff that was released under GPL in whatever version it existed in at that
point. I believe this is already Han's plan and I support it.

For me, I'm going to use Sevy's stuff as if it is GPL. For example, I'm
looking forward to the military contract I am expecting of torturing people,
and at that point I think I'll make excellent use of PiDiP. I'll let Sevy
sue me then.

I don't buy the argument that the Sevy's stuff should be removed out of
respect for the author, as this argument conflicts with a more compelling
argument of respect for the community, for free software, and for the GPL
license. It is weird and uncomfortable to me that "one of our own" would
impose restrictions on the use of their software that even the infamous
Microsoft wouldn't consider. I can't support such a position.

-John