[PD] Plugin for 0.43 to have a gtk-looking open dialog

Chris McCormick chris at mccormick.cx
Wed Dec 15 04:08:32 CET 2010

On Tue, Dec 14, 2010 at 11:20:32AM -0500, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
> On Tue, 2010-12-14 at 16:08 +0100, Lorenzo Sutton wrote:
> > IOhannes m zmoelnig wrote:
> > >>
> > I would second the suggestion someone made of a .pd-extended (with dot)
> > folder in the user's home as that seems quite standard for many linux
> > apps... Of course I'm not sure how much this would break existing
> > libraries which rely on the pd-extended folder.
>
> That's a common suggestion.  Frank made a good case for it not to be a .
> file, you can see the threads at the bottom here:
>
> http://puredata.info/docs/faq/how-do-i-install-externals-and-help-files

Did you interperet Frank's comment:

> The home path isn't important anyway as every user probably has her
> own file layout for home. And I don't think that every home should be
> standardized, I like it if all my friends' homes look different.

to mean that he doesn't agree with a dot file? I am not sure if that's a
correct reading. Seems more like a whimsical off-hand comment than a reason to
break with forty two years of unix tradition.

If you don't like ~/.pd-externals the other thing you could do is follow the
free desktop standard and put it in one of ~/.config/pd-externals
~/Templates/pd-externals ~/Documents/pd-externals or something? There must be a
precedent for this.

"pd-extras" would seem like a more apt name to me too.

Sorry to be a trouble maker. I should say that I totally love this new feature
and many thanks for lobbying to get it into Pd/MSP.

Cheers,

Chris.