[PD] PD OOP?

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Wed Dec 15 16:34:09 CET 2010

On Wed, 15 Dec 2010, Andrew Faraday wrote:

> You might want to have a look at Jamie Bullock's abstraction based
> solution(which also went out on this list). Which was quite eloquent, if
> a little limiting at first. It's a little way back from the dream of
> dropping lines of OO code into pd but it's the kind of thing, when I
> find a syntax I like for this, could be useful to streamline some of my
> patching.

I think that you are confusing OO concepts with something else. Just
because you use Ruby doesn't mean you use the OO features of it (in a way
that really distinguishes it from non-OO).

Base OO concepts are Ruby's classes, Ruby's modules, Pd's abstractions,
Ruby's self, Pd's $0, etc.

I use the words "OO" and "OOP" not implying some kind of wholly-written
programme in imperative fashion. I think that this is most appropriate
than saying OOP is necessarily built-upon the concepts of "structured
programming", because the latter ignores all the languages that don't fit
with plain "structured programming" while inspiring themselves a lot from
OOP ideas. If you care about language categorisation and comparison, you
do use the word "OOP" in a more generic way.

> volume = .05,

The .05 syntax is a syntax error since Ruby 1.7 (many years ago).