[PD] consonant extraction using fft

Ivica Ico Bukvic ico at vt.edu
Thu Dec 16 06:08:57 CET 2010

Hi all,

I have been playing with fft lately and was wondering if anyone has some pointers on how to extract consonants from vowels in human speech. I suspect it is detection of noisy signal that generally populates a much wider band of frequencies approaching some sort of filtered white noise (depending on the consonant) but am not sure as to what is the best strategy in isolating these at least somewhat reliably.

Any ideas/pointers would be most appreciated.

Ivica Ico Bukvic, D.M.A.
Composition, Music Technology
Director, DISIS Interactive Sound & Intermedia Studio
Director, L2Ork Linux Laptop Orchestra
Assistant Co-Director, CCTAD
CHCI, CS, and Art (by courtesy)
Virginia Tech