[PD] consonant extraction using fft

Pedro Lopes pedro.lopes at ist.utl.pt
Thu Dec 16 20:24:27 CET 2010

I recently heard a seminar by a researcher called Gopala Anumanchipalli[1],
here in Portugal.
He works around similar subjects (modelling and extracting pronunciation via
signal processing - and in order to to that I think he extracts consonants
and vowels), take a look at his homepage maybe there's something there.

[1] http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~gopalakr/

also, http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~gopalakr/publications/Gopal_Thesis_final.pdf

Best regards,
Pedro
p.s.: maybe a too long shot. but what the heck. :)

On Thu, Dec 16, 2010 at 7:12 PM, tim vets <timvets at gmail.com> wrote:

> I09.sheep.from.goats.pd ?
> gr,
> Tim
>

> 2010/12/16 Ivica Ico Bukvic <ico at vt.edu>
>
> Hi all,
>>
>> I have been playing with fft lately and was wondering if anyone has some
>> pointers on how to extract consonants from vowels in human speech. I suspect
>> it is detection of noisy signal that generally populates a much wider band
>> of frequencies approaching some sort of filtered white noise (depending on
>> the consonant) but am not sure as to what is the best strategy in isolating
>> these at least somewhat reliably.
>>
>> Any ideas/pointers would be most appreciated.
>>
>> Ivica Ico Bukvic, D.M.A.
>> Composition, Music Technology
>> Director, DISIS Interactive Sound & Intermedia Studio
>> Director, L2Ork Linux Laptop Orchestra
>> Assistant Co-Director, CCTAD
>> CHCI, CS, and Art (by courtesy)
>> Virginia Tech