[PD] L2Ork Pd update now available

Ivica Ico Bukvic ico at vt.edu
Fri Dec 17 02:14:48 CET 2010

On Thu, 2010-12-16 at 19:12 -0500, Ivica Ico Bukvic wrote:
> On Wed, 2010-12-15 at 17:15 -0800, Jonathan Wilkes wrote:
> > Hi Ivica,
> >      This may just be leftovers from a previous install:
> > When I run pd by typing in '/usr/local/bin/pd-l2ork' it works fine.
> >
> > When I run it by typing pd-l2ork, I get:
> >
> > sh: /usr/bin/pd-gui: not found
> >
> > And it just waits there until I hit <ctrl-c>.
> >
> > Any hints?
> >
> > -Jonathan
>
> Actually, it seems that the default installer in packages/linux_make/
> folder fails to produce sane binary when building a tarbz2 rather than a
> deb. First of all it keeps running dpkg-shlibdeps even when running make
> tarbz2 as it has an if statement that changes it to deb (if deb package
> is present) and then it assumes that binary should be built in /usr/bin
> directory rather than in /usr/local/bin.
>
> Hans, shouldn't the following code be under the package: part? Otherwise
> it overrides tarbz2 settings if one has dpkg-deb installed regardless of
> what the user has input and results in erroneous build, no?
>
> # if machine has dpkg-deb, build a Debian package
> ifeq ($(shell test -x /usr/bin/dpkg-deb && echo YES),YES)
>   PACKAGE_TYPE = deb
> else
>   PACKAGE_TYPE = tarbz2
> endif

Actually, moving this does not work under package: heading due to the
way makefile structure works. That said, I think it is broken and it
should simply go away together with package: heading as it is not
documented nor does it provide anything useful that "make tarbz2" or
"make deb" already don't do. On top of that it breaks the build process.
This way even doing a simple "make test_locations" takes forever until
the whole thing goes through the shlibdeps mess. OTOH I am not sure how
to then force generation of dependencies which depends upon PACKAGE_TYPE
variable. Any ideas?