[PD] FW: PD OOP?

Andrew Faraday jbturgid at hotmail.com
Sat Dec 18 10:12:55 CET 2010

From: jbturgid at hotmail.com
To: matju at artengine.ca
Subject: RE: [PD] PD OOP?
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2010 23:24:46 +0000

I'm considering, next time I get time to really focus on some PD, writing some kind of abstraction for [shell] and irb. Although I realize this might be really clunky to operate. The main problem I've got with that is, probably, the syntax for the arguments, to be honest, if I could write my ruby in ticks and then run something like [l2s] on that part I'd be well on the way to a real-time ruby object. Probs something like:
[irb 100 2 '$1 * 2' ]
arguments like$1 polling rate (feeding a metro)$2 creation argument$3 (inside ticks) ruby line(s) ($x could represent inlets, going to pack, then the ruby statement in a message, gaps filled from the inlets and going to shell (on irb))
Could probably be done, but as I say, would take a bit of time to get that really usable.
I'm not sure, but the best way might be to just have one shell open and the irb abstraction generating sends to this. 'course routing any returns might be difficult. But this way there would be one set of ruby variables.
Anyone know how I can make a list one of the arguments for an abstraction?
Andrew