[PD] PD OOP?

Andrew Faraday jbturgid at hotmail.com
Sat Dec 18 10:27:14 CET 2010

I understand the haiku analogy is about code being short, eloquent and saying what needs to be said in relatively few words. To be honest, programming is much like actual language in that it relies on layers and layers of abstraction before it can actually be deciphered. If you consider a simple word like 'walk', this represents a number of actions, putting one foot in front of the other, responding to obstacles you come in to and the rather complex process of standing upright. You can attach other words to it and say things like 'walk quickly north' these are arguments, and again, require an understanding of other things before you can interpret them as an instruction. This is largely the case with PD libraries (and other libraries, for that matter). Even the basic package is very far removed from the binary your computer actually 'understands'. It goes through the process of interpreting a text file for you to see the patch, returning that to a text file, moving through the code that represents pd, operating system etc. until it's just binary.
So you're using a heck of a lot of other people's work using pd vanilla. do you understand how your OS works? Would you rather have one you can build yourself? You'd know how it works, then.

Also if we're talking programming philosophy, I may as well write a 'programming haiku'
Walk towards the seaStop walking when you get thereIt's too cold for that