[PD] PD OOP?

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Mon Dec 20 14:42:53 CET 2010

On Mon, 20 Dec 2010, Chris McCormick wrote:

> Ah, sorry for the confusion. I meant it to say that sometimes
> constraining yourself, as with following the rules for writing haiku,
> can help creativity. For some artists, there is nothing scarier than a
> page with no words on it, or a canvas with no paint (or objects) on it.
> If you start with some rules about what you are allowed to put on the
> canvas, this can paradoxically enhance your creativity.

It's about making choices. Before an artwork is started, that artwork
could be anything. Somehow the artist has to start with something in
particular (can't go in all directions at once !). Elements that help
define the artwork may additive (you put a box that suggests another
box...) or subtractive (you state a rule that filters out some
possibilities, or you set some kind of goal).

Well, that's how I see it... at this moment.