[PD] [PD-announce] Piksel video report: Sonification of IT censorship technologies

Derek Holzer derek at umatic.nl
Thu Dec 23 01:02:43 CET 2010

This is a classic example of the ongoing (mis)communication(s) between
artists and scientists. In this case, I think Mathieu is confusing the
purpose of art with the purpose of a scientific paper. One's aim is to
establish and demonstrate facts, the other to explore possibilities and
inspire imaginative (and often non-linear) connections.

For me, far too much of this art-science stuff errs on the side of
technical demonstration. And far too many artists lack the training to
engage with the real media of their work and instead hire technicians to
realize it for them. The flip side of that coin is that poetry is often
unquantifiable ("program me something sad" says the media artist to
their trusty technician) and causes segfaults in engineer-type brains ;-)

D.

--
::: derek holzer ::: http://macumbista.net :::
---Oblique Strategy # 64: