[PD] Piksel video report: Sonification of, IT censorship technologies

Collin Oldham coldham at mac.com
Thu Dec 23 01:27:46 CET 2010

On 12/22/2010 11:34 AM, Mathieu Bouchard wrote:
> On Mon, 20 Dec 2010, Collin Oldham wrote:
>
>> Not that suppression was Mattieu's intention, this little gem may owe
>> it's existence to his criticism! I just hope artists will have the
>> courage to follow through with their impulses, even though they may
>> face some unsympathetic criticism.
>
> If I were just unsympathetic I'd just dismiss it without explanation.
>
> If I spend time talking about it, it's because I care.

> | Mathieu Bouchard ---- tél: +1.514.383.3801 ---- Villeray, Montréal, QC

Thank you for also caring about my comment. What I mean by
"unsympathetic criticism," is criticism that comes from a point of view
of not liking the thing that is being criticized. Some people need a
little courage to receive that kind. I don't know if your point of view
is sympathetic in this case, but if it's not, well of course that's
perfectly valid too.

The point that I thought was worth trying to make is that artists should
not let fear of criticism preempt their creative impulses. Not that
anyone involved in this conversation is in danger of doing that, but
some readers of this list might be.

Collin

P.S. sorry I misspelled your name, Mathieu.