[PD] [PD-announce] Piksel video report: Sonification of IT censorship technologies

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Thu Dec 23 02:51:15 CET 2010

On Thu, 23 Dec 2010, Derek Holzer wrote:

> This is a classic example of the ongoing (mis)communication(s) between
> artists and scientists. In this case, I think Mathieu is confusing the
> purpose of art with the purpose of a scientific paper.

That's right, the purpose of art is to have no purpose. Thus spake Captain
Haddock, as he explained why he had bought a large plexiglas sculpture of
the letter H, in Tintin's (unfinished) opus 24 :
http://www.decitre.fr/gi/16/9782203017016FS.gif

;)

> One's aim is to establish and demonstrate facts, the other to explore
> possibilities and inspire imaginative (and often non-linear)
> connections.

That's a typical Romantic conception of it. Before that time, art and
technique were largely interchangeable words (they still can be, depending
on context), and a lot more people knew that the word «technique» comes
and «craftsmanship». In Romantic times, an anti-scientific strand of
artists took over, who were really obsessed by their emotions. We are
still under that influence, but the reason we're having this discussion is
in part because there is a partial reconvergence of art and science
happening these years. Some may call it a confusion.

I think that it's pretty clear that to establish and demonstrate facts,
one needs to explore possibilities and inspire imaginative (and often
non-linear) connections. It's so intertwined, that it's necessary.

Nevertheless, in the scientific culture, much of the «artsy» part of the
job has been swept under the carpet although the job's greatest successes
depends on it. (I guess that this would be why Einstein appears in that
book about creativity that was mentioned some days ago)

> For me, far too much of this art-science stuff errs on the side of
> technical demonstration.

If technical demonstration can be one of the many purposes of art, ...
Gallery contents of the last century is one long argument that art can be
anything at all and always escapes any definition.

I too think that art errs a lot : someone needs to pee in Duchamp's
urinal, imho. We just don't quite agree on which art is erring.

Yet at once, I don't wish that Marco's work had been a technical
demonstration ; it's not what I said. My wish is about valuing the
possibility to sense the input through the output. That does happen to be
a necessary feature of scientific visualisation and/or sonification, but
it doesn't mean art can't have this feature.

> The flip side of that coin is that poetry is often unquantifiable
> ("program me something sad" says the media artist to their trusty
> technician) and causes segfaults in engineer-type brains ;-)

It's more like "program me something interesting" and then the
engineer-type brain suspects he's being asked to be the artist, and that
the nominal artist is in fact some kind of curator except he gets the
credit for the whole thing.

But that's the worst case : usually it's a lot more pleasant than that,
and the artists' requirements are usually very graspable.