[PD] [PD-announce] Piksel video report: Sonification of IT censorship technologies

João Pais jmmmpais at googlemail.com
Thu Dec 23 11:27:41 CET 2010

I would say that in this particular case (golden shield music), the
problem is the "abstractization" of the material. as Marco himself
admitted, due to the synthesis model he used, any numbers would have
triggered a not very different result, and the music alone (I don't know
the rest of the installation) doesn't let the intended meaning go through.

since someone asked how to make censorship clear, I would propose (in the
same way to make something else clear) for example to change the sound
content, so that we can get a more clear objectification of what's being
dealt with. just of the top of the head I can give a concrete realisation
(which will have a different result): instead of "abstract" tones, use
voice samples speaking out the IPs / or flustering, as being menaced / or
computer "reading" / or voice samples but with some variable distortion
(that can be controlled by the country from where the site comes, ...)
This would be a proposal so that the result is more connected with the
concept and process of the installation. Predicting some critiques,
someone can say "with the IPs I don't know what are the sites", but they
don't really have to know. It should be enough to get an idea of the
quantity of manipulated sites, I guess that was the intention of the
installation. Or then, another level could use the whois data to sonify as
well... of course the possibilities are endless.

 From my side, I just resume: if you have a clear process/concept that
gives it's identity to the project, it's a bit of a pity that the final
result looses power because there isn't a strong enough "palpable"
(whatever that is) connection. Going too far with the "palpability" could
result in a "technical demonstration", but letting things too loose means
that you're not expressing anything at all, you're just making "nice
music" (which is what you said yourself you didn't want to do). The
question is finding the balance.

And of course, you can always write an article.

João

--
Friedenstr. 58
10249 Berlin (Deutschland)