[PD] [PD-announce] Piksel video report: Sonification of IT censorship technologies

Derek Holzer derek at umatic.nl
Thu Dec 23 13:37:18 CET 2010

Hi Marco,

On 12/23/10 10:26 AM, Marco Donnarumma wrote:

 > Maybe the artist does not always need to perfectly know how to code
 > something, but the conceptual relevance of a work can be unveiled and
 > successfully diffused even if somehow a work lacks of technical
 > consistence, or does not fulfil requirements of a scientific paper.

here I would agree 100%, as it follows directly from what I wrote
already. Ii think, rather than dealing with the fallout of the Romantic
era as Mathieu suggested, we are dealing with the fallout of the
1980's--and its intesification of spectacle and commodity.

Damien Hirst, Jeff Koons and etc taught us that art must be BIG and to
go beyond the scale of what artists can make by themselves in the studio
by hiring craftspeople and technicians to realize massive, expensive
works as the desirable aim of this art market economy. Although driven
by a different kind of economics--mainly grants and subsidies with
academic, social and political concerns involved--art/sci work still
strives for the spectacle in a similar way.

I am personally not interested in what kind of work someone fund-raise
and be a middle-manager to create. I want to see what someone is capable
of doing with their own two hands, as flawed as that may be. For any art
to be experimental, the possibility of failure must be present at all times.

At the other extreme of the spectrum, and closer to my own heart, are
artists like David Tudor. After becoming the premier avant-garde concert
pianists, he locked himself in the studio for two years and taught
himself analog electronics. His electronic creations represented his own
personal musical vision--with all the idiosyncrasies included--and have
always been a huge inspiration. And I would happily categorize your work
more along these lines as well.

In case this sounds like part of a paper--it is. I will be curating an
edition of the Canadian online journal Vague Terrain in March 2011 under
the theme "Schematic as Score" and I intend to address a lot of this
material there.

Happily veering OT,
Derek

--