[PD] how to detect if array has changed

João Pais jmmmpais at googlemail.com
Tue Dec 28 13:25:41 CET 2010

what do you mean with data structures, didn't see any in your patch.

to the original poster, if it's a control array, it should change when you
tell it to. so, jack's first suggestion is the most efficient, before you
do a change, see if the written indexes are really different. otherwise
there is the hard solution, but that implies you have a constant data flow
going on at the same time, it's not the most efficient solution.

> Look at the patch attached to this mail.
> I think array in data structures is a most elegant way to do what you
> are looking for.
> ++
>

>> Thanks all for the reply. Forgot to mention critical part--all this
>> detection should however happen when one is "drawing" the array by
>> clicking with the mouse onto the array's points and dragging them to new
>> positions. Hence, there is no "middleware" patch to speak of (other than
>> what array inherently provides). Is there anything that may provide
>> this?

if that's what you want to do, then there will always be changes. it's not
possible to have the hand precision.
unless you use an array that has a vertical step limit. since that's not a
feature from array, I did once a data structures abstraction to do it. but
I can't find it now.
or, if using data strucutres, you can use the click output to know when
change is being made, and compare it with an older state. that makes it
more efficient, the comparison patch doesn't have to be working at an x
rate.
actually, that abstraction I did would do the job, then. it's somewhere in
my disk, was part of a bigger patch.