[PD] building pd's: libjack-dev unistalls jackd2

IOhannes zmölnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Thu Dec 30 15:33:44 CET 2010

On 12/26/2010 06:11 PM, Pedro Lopes wrote:
> Don't know if its worth to mention in this page [1], but when I installed
> the needed libjack-dev package (towards building pd 0.43 in Ubuntu Maverick
> 32 bits) it removed jackd2.

this might well be a problem with either ubuntu maverick or indeed a
dependency issue (e.g. it's true that libjack-dev must not live together
with jackd2)

> It seems that they cannot sit together (maybe this should be posted in the
> jackd mailing list). The simple workaround is to install the jackd1 package,
> that can live happily alongside the dev one.

another simple workaround is to install libjack-dev for compiling and
than re-install jackd2 if you need it.

the reason why Pd depends on libjack-dev is that this is the debian
policy: all applications should be built against libjack-dev (that is:
jack1) but the default installation is jack2 (jack2 is backwards
compatible with jack1 but not the other way round)
this allows for most compatibility, but mightimpose some problems to the
ordinary debian user compiling packages themselves (debian's buildfarm
doesn't care about jackd2 not being installed)

anyhow, if you feel like this is indeed a bug, then please ask ubuntu's
jack maintainers rather than upstream jack development.

gfmasdr
IOhannes